Stillwater Black came together in 1991 when Chris Thayer met Ahmed and Sam Pierstorff while playing in the pit band for a high school musical production. Issac McCorkell was quickly recruited on drums and the band recorded its first EP, The Last Virtuous Lady of Athens.

In 1995 they signed with Cleaves Entertainment, a now-defunct independent label based out of Southern California's Inland Empire. Stillwater Black recorded their debut LP, Adam. They played frequently with local and national acts including Dishwalla, Save Ferris, Reel Big Fish, and IE punk/ska mainstays, The Skeletones.

In 1997 the members parted ways and the project lay dormant for two decades.

Monday, October 9, 2017

Biology


We need a photographer. Just throwing that out there.

That hazy mess above is actually Chris and I in the studio for a fabulously productive writing and arranging session. So productive in fact, that Chris was refusing to honor his biology.



My brother Sam has convinced me that a gallon of water a day is a good idea. I've been trying, and I tend to agree. I feel better massively hydrated. But I also have to pee all the damn time.

The first thing I do when I get out to Inland Blue is pee. It's about an hour drive east, and I'm drinking my water the whole time. So it's kind of urgent.

Once relieved, I'm all about business. Chris pulled up some tracks we'd been working on last month. Some great music. We fiddled and tinkered a bit with the arrangement before moving on to two other songs.

I had some lyric and melody ideas for the verse and chorus progressions of one song, so we tracked some scratch vocals. Chris liked the ideas and immediately got into building out a bridge section.

I needed to pee again.

But Chris was in the groove, experimenting with different guitar parts, all super-awesome. And once he had something down that we both liked, he picked up the bass and started tracking that.

I really had to pee.

With a bass part down, Chris wanted to fill in the new sections with a scratch drum track to give Issac something to work with. I think that's when I snapped the picture above. Hard to focus with a bladder on the verge of rupture.

Once the drums were tracked, he wanted to do a little mixing. I couldn't take it.

"Chris. I gotta pee. How come you never have to pee?"

"I do," he said. "I just don't want to break the vibe."


We broke the vibe. Biology has to be respected.

After business was handled, we got back into it. It took a minute, but we found our stride. We walked out of a four hour session with three new songs arranged. That blew me away.

Next week we meet up with Issac to track drums.

This is the best music that I have ever been a part of. Beyond excited. I think you are all going to love what's coming.

But set your priorities. Relieve yourself. Then relax in your post-void bliss and listen to longshot.

Then share and leave a comment below or on our YouTube page, or on any of our social network platforms: FacebookInstagramTwitter, and SoundCloud. We love that!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment